Sunday, April 8, 2012

Visual Lecture #2 Kevin Kremler 4/5/12


Kevin Kremler gave a lecture on April 5th 2012 that I attended. This is the second lecture I decided to write about because I thought his artwork was intriguing. The lecture room itself was extremely packed come presentation time. Kevin had lots of friends and colleagues come, which I thought was pretty cool, but also nerve-racking. I thought for the attendance in the crowd Kevin did a great job. Public speaking is extremely difficult especially in front of family, friends, and other important spectators. For his presentation, I thought he was a little uninformed on his examples of the work he used to describe the type of artwork that he participates in. I felt that he did not know the names of each and every piece he showed and their authors, which I understand because it is a lot to remember and again, the public speaking factor always tends to show. Plus I saw him read from a card a lot, as if he froze up constantly, but again, quite understandable for someone in his position. Despite that, I really enjoyed his presentation. He discussed his process, which, as a beginning artist I appreciated because Its very helpful to see another artists form for his success. Kevin was also extremely funny and entertaining with his lecture. I enjoyed the comedy aspect, and so did the crowd. He was able to keep the crowd very engaged and open to his work. Overall, he presented for about 50 minutes and showed some great examples, but before I saw his gallery I did not understand whatsoever. I found it confusing that he did not show any of his artwork and just examples of other people’s that he went off of. This was until we went up to the gallery. He only had about 4 pieces but each one was pretty cool. I really enjoyed the shovel and colored sand. I thought it was a very complex design but beautifully mastered. As soon as I saw the gallery his presentation made complete sense. He was getting the audience hyped up to view his artwork. I’m sure most people felt the same way that I did about it and truly enjoyed the presentation and Kevin Kremmler’s artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment